Thursday, April 21, 2016

A risk not worth the reward

I'm a strong believer in the concept of individual pursuit of happiness, so long as that happiness doesn't afflict another individual's pursuit. Because of this, there is a plethora of laws and social issues that I disagree with, regardless of their intended effects.
Recently, Lienthelion has touched on the relatively new anti-vaxx movement in his post Editorial: PAC Mobilizes to defend Vaccine Exemptions in TexasThroughout his Editorial, Lien explains the controversial decisions made by the parents involved in the anti-vaxx movement, and concludes that "there should be federally enforced legislation on the regulation of vaccinating children. This is not a right so much as it is a standard to be met as a member of society."
Frankly, I completely agree with Lien. I personally have a family member who has hopped on the anti-vaxx train and while because of that, I understand the concerns of the parents who have made the decision not to vaccinate their children, I still disagree with the decision; and like Lien I disagree with it being a decision left to individual parents. While the participants in this movement clearly want what is best for their children, they selfishly ignore the risk that they impose on other children, and on society as a whole. A trend of this magnitude that risks the welfare of the next generation(s) should not, and cannot be ignored- and while I generally condemn running to the government to solve any issues that would place restrictions on the individual, I feel that the best solution to this issue is a judicial and/or legislative one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment